Modern web browser adoption better

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

Modern web browser adoption better

Postby crustyasp46 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Modern web browser adoption better than expected: 71% run latest version

Web developers fight a constant struggle: They want to use modern web browser features, but they also need to take browser adoption into consideration. If a large portion of their users run older versions of browsers, web developers will be limited in what they can accomplish.

With this in mind, we decided to find out how many people are running the latest version of their browser, whether it be Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera.

The current situation
Before we go any further, we should point out that what we examine in this article is the situation right now. The numbers will vary a bit over time since they are dependent on new browser versions being launched, how long ago the latest versions have been on the market, etc.

To make sure the numbers are up-to-date, we based them on stats for the first four days of November. That should be a decent snapshot of the current situation. The data is from StatCounter, based on visitor stats from more than 3 million websites.

For the record, the latest official (major) versions right now are Internet Explorer 8.0, Firefox 3.6, Chrome 7.0, Safari 5.0 and Opera 10.6.

Summary:

91% of Chrome users run version 7.0.
81% of Firefox users run version 3.6.
77% of Opera users run version 10.6.
71% of Safari users run version 5.0.
60% of Internet Explorer users run version 8.0.
The share of Internet users who are running the latest official, major version of either Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera is 71%.
It’s not strange that Chrome “wins” this since it’s currently the only browser with automated upgrades (they are handled in the background). It will most likely be a bit higher a few weeks from now since there’s still a small portion of version 6 users that haven’t upgraded yet. Another thing that brings down the number a bit are the various beta and developer versions.

Getting users to upgrade
Convincing users to upgrade their browsers can be a challenge, and browser developers have had varying levels of success with this. We studied this in detail a while back, and it’s still an interesting read if you’re curious to see how quickly various browsers tend to be upgraded.

We can’t help but think that webmasters can do their part here as well by educating their users when possible (and where appropriate, of course).

Final words
To be honest, the situation is better than we expected. To know that 71% of users are running the latest version of their browser is good news for web developers. It means that websites hoping to make use of the latest browser features have a pretty good user base to pick from.

The black sheep in the flock is Internet Explorer. Of the people running Internet Explorer, 25% are still running version 7, and 14% are still running version 6. Hopefully Microsoft will be able to convince most of those users to upgrade to version 9 once it becomes available.

Back to the games boys and girls :!: :typing:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Re: Modern web browser adoption better

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Even with firefox, when they release a new update, i always back up my current one because Ive had updates that screw up my preferences, experienced slower speeds, incompatible add-ons (really hate that one), and other problems and have reverted to the previous install.

A nifty little add on - Nightly Tester Tools - allows me to FORCE install addons that say they arent compatible with the current version. They work still, but I understand that its not the smartest thing to do.

Updates are also a pain to get people to do because its annoying to open up your browser and have a pop up tell you there is a new update. The next steps would be to accept the download, close your browser, open up installer, follow messages, install, and then re-open your updated browser. Its much easier to just decline and browse like you had originally planned.

Just my thoughts

Postby JAHGoVeg » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 pm

i guess i dont mind auto updates as long as they are not from apple. cuz if you "auto-update safari you also update every other apple product you've ever had and download a 98 Mb file for a "New" itunes. this is me after and apple update.

:freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout:

yes i understand that i can opt out but its just annoying.
That's me
JAHGoVeg
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 850
Next LVL Up at : 850

Fav System: SNES

Postby Kherr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:06 pm

JAHGoVeg wrote:i guess i dont mind auto updates as long as they are not from apple. cuz if you "auto-update safari you also update every other apple product you've ever had and download a 98 Mb file for a "New" itunes. this is me after and apple update.

:freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout:

yes i understand that i can opt out but its just annoying.

Strange, because when I update Photoshop CS5 Extended, it only makes me update usually adobe air or raw photo viewer or something... and that usually happens when I least expect it, but highspeed internet ftw. I love keeping up to date... you get to experience all the bugs/glitches/errors this way. And then you get to bitch at the company that made the product and get a good feeling afterward. :3
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Kherr wrote:Strange, because when I update Photoshop CS5 Extended, it only makes me update usually adobe air or raw photo viewer or something... and that usually happens when I least expect it, but highspeed internet ftw. I love keeping up to date... you get to experience all the bugs/glitches/errors this way. And then you get to bitch at the company that made the product and get a good feeling afterward. :3

Im glad i dont ever have to code for you :D

Return to Retro Computer Ramblings BLOG