geek code: n.

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

Postby crustyasp46 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:56 pm

(also “Code of the Geeks”). A set of codes commonly used in sig blocks to broadcast the interests, skills, and aspirations of the poster. Features a G at the left margin followed by numerous letter codes, often suffixed with plusses or minuses. Because many net users are involved in computer science, the most common prefix is ‘GCS’. To see a copy of the current code, browse
Code: Select all
http://www.geekcode.com/
. Here is a sample geek code (that of Robert Hayden, the code's inventor) from that page:

-----BEGIN�GEEK�CODE�BLOCK-----
Version:�3.1
GED/J�d--�s:++>:�a-�C++(++++)$�ULUO++�P+>+++�L++�!E----�W+(---)�N+++
o+�K+++�w+(---)�O-�M+$>++�V--�PS++(+++)>$�PE++(+)>$�Y++�PGP++�t-�5+++
X++�R+++>$�tv+�b+�DI+++�D+++�G+++++>$�e++$>++++�h�r--�y+**
------END�GEEK�CODE�BLOCK------

The geek code originated in 1993; it was inspired (according to the inventor) by previous “bear”, “smurf” and “twink” style-and-sexual-preference codes from lesbian and gay newsgroups. It has in turn spawned imitators; there is now even a “Saturn geek code” for owners of the Saturn car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to:
THE GEEK CODE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE STATUS OF THE GEEK CODE:

The Geek Code is basicly a (small) part of Internet history. When I did the first incarnation of the code back in '93, it was as a lark. Eventually, it evolved into the form you see online now and has remained virtually unchanged since that time.

I've always meant to, and still hope to, someday get back to the code and release a new version for the new century that was more modern and hip and all that. Several things happened. First, the internet of 1996 was still a wild untamed virgin paradise of geeks and eggheads unpopulated by script kiddies, and the denizens of AOL. When things changed, I seriously lost my way. I mean, all the "geek" that was the Internet was gone and replaced by Xfiles buzzwords and politicians passing laws about a technology they refused to comprehend. Think about it, this was the infancy of even the world wide web, when having a "DotCom" address wasn't hip (and wasn't a billion-dollar snowjob by the ICANN).

Still, I always said to myself "Self, some day you'll get over it and write the new code."

AND SOME DAY I WILL!

However, until that time does arrive, The Geek Code stands as it does now, still in the pure and pristine form it was intended. A testament to the history of the Internet, however small a part it may have played.

Sincerely,

Robert Hayden

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last updated: March 5, 1996
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you think you are a geek, eh? The first step is to admit to yourself your geekiness. No matter what anyone says, geeks are people too; geeks have rights. So take a deep breath and announce to the world that you are a geek. Your courage will give you strength that will last you forever.
How to tell the world you are a geek, you ask? Use the universal Geek code! Using this special code will allow you to let other un-closeted geeks know who you are in a simple, codified statement.

The single best way to announce your geekhood is to add your geek code to your signature file or plan and announce it far and wide. But be careful, you may give other geeks the courage to come out of the closet. You might want to hang on to your copy of the code in order to help them along.

A NOTE OR TWO FROM THE AUTHOR
Well, here it is, finally, version 3.x of the World-Famous Geek Code. Yes, it's taken me much longer to write the new version than it should have. Yes, the old version was hopelessly out of date. I apologize. A combination of too much schooling followed by college graduation delayed it. In addition, there were almost 2,000 suggestions and comments on version 2.1 to wade through for consideration in this version. However, I'm a grad student now (Education Technology, Mankato State University), so I have a lot of time on my hands (yeah, right!).
It is my hope that this new version will be much superior to version 2.x. One of the main problems with 2.x was not that it was too long (well, it is too long, but that's irrelevant), but much of its length was attributed to non-geek categories (such as 'barney'). One of the goals of 3.x is to eliminate many of the non-geeky and unimportant categories in order to make room for geeky traits. "More geek, less bullshit" is a good motto. In addition, many of the categories (such as politics) were very poorly developed. These categories have been revamped and expanded to make them more fully cover all the requisite areas.

Finally, despite my opinions to the contrary, I've left some of the "appearance" sections in. I'd like to think of looks as being not a very geeky trait, but it seems that many of the users of the code use it as a litmus test for dating or something. Thus, a geek code has become a replacement for the classic "what do you look like" that once permeated the net. I've eliminated most of the categories, but left the most important ones in. Hey, anything for my fellow geeks...

In other news, the Geek Code is starting to go mainstream. It appeared with commentary in the February '95 issue of Boardwatch magazine as well as the August 1995 issue of Fast Forward, a suplement to The Washington Post. I've also received permission requests from people that want to translate the code into other languages; so far Japanese, Russian, French and ADA (ewww!). It's my hope that perhaps this next year can bring a little more popular media exposure and a true world presence. If you want to write something about the Geek Code, or do a translation, or anything else, please read the copyright notice at the end. It's fairly open, but you don't want to get in trouble, do you? If you do write an article or something about the Geek Code, I would like to have a copy if it for my own records.

Instructions

The geek code consists of several categories. Each category is labeled with a letter and some qualifiers. Go through each category and determine which set of qualifiers best describes you in that category. By stringing all of these 'codes' together, you are able to construct your overall geek code. It is this single line of code that will inform other geeks the world over of what a great geek you actually are.
Some of the qualifiers will very probably not match with you exactly. It is impossible to cover all possibilities in each category. Simply choose that qualifier that most closely matches you. Also, some activities described in a specific qualifier you may not engage in, while you do engage in others. Each description of each qualifier describes the wide range of activities that apply, so as long as you match with one, you can probably use that qualifier.

After you have determined each of your qualifiers, you need to the construct your GEEK CODE BLOCK. Instructions are provided on how to do this towards the end of this file.

Also, pay particular attention to case-sensitivity, there can be a big difference between a 'w' and a 'W'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My standing in the world of geeks:

Shape : s:

Computers : C+

Dress : d-- on occasion : !d

And now to poke fun at those Windows users :

Microsoft Windows
A good many geeks suffer through the use of various versions of Microsoft's Windows running on or as a replacement for DOS. Rate your Windows Geekiness.

w+++++

w++++

w+++

w++

w+

w

w-

w--

w---

Source :
Code: Select all
http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html