Husky

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

Husky

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 am

Husky

husky.jpg
husky.jpg (13.58 KiB) Viewed 3659 times

Owner: Jon Westly - Husky Computers

According to Jon:

In 1980 we designed a computer called the Husky. It was first manufactured in around April(?) 1981 and measured 9 1/2" x 8" x2"(24cm x 19.5cm x 4cm) max. It weighed 2 Kgm with batteries.

I would like to think that it constituted a number of firsts - but this will depend on definitions.

The first portable computer ..... (The Osbourne I was portable - but, as you say, "portable?". The Husky was/is REALLY portable.)
The first laptop computer ..... (Byte described it as a 'lapheld' in 82 I think - but the expression laptop had not been created.) The issue here is whether a Laptop has to be a clamshell. Husky have never made a clamshell because we make rugged computers (see below) - and hinges create weakness. Notebooks clearly implicate a hinge.
The first handheld computer ....
The first rugged computer .....
Secret History

My thesis, baldly stated, is that in 81 something happened that created a two tier history of computing. IBM effectively took computers to the mass indoors market (the rest is history).

Husky, in distinction, took computers to the outdoor market - their being waterproof against accidental immersion and rugged - the original Husky could be safely driven over, ensured their take-up by e.g. the military and the water utilities.

In niche markets Husky is as well known as IBM (geo-technical rugged field service, emergency services), but the general consumer is likely to be unaware.

The result is that Husky is absent from the pages of computer history - part of a lost or secret history. I would like to change that!

Source : obsolete computer museum

We have helped spread the word, Jon, here at TOC.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Re: Husky

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:01 am

Thats a nice little blog post. I helped repair a Husky Hunter many years ago. Very well made little handheld computer.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Return to Retro Computer Ramblings BLOG