Windows 10

Pictures and videos of anything either retro related or otherwise.

Re: Windows 10

Postby GameFreak50 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:58 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've seen a couple articles where Windows 10 runs games better than on previous versions of windows. Since DirectX 12 is supposed to be a lower-level API, but with the recent release of Vulkan, this could change things for older versions of windows, I'm on Win 7, I'm wondering if games do run better and faster and take less resources when running on Windows 10?
GameFreak50
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 75
Next LVL Up at : 75

Fav System: Snes

Postby Kherr » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:08 pm

GameFreak50 wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've seen a couple articles where Windows 10 runs games better than on previous versions of windows. Since DirectX 12 is supposed to be a lower-level API, but with the recent release of Vulkan, this could change things for older versions of windows, I'm on Win 7, I'm wondering if games do run better and faster and take less resources when running on Windows 10?

So far I'm noticing better framerates in games I was playing on Win7, but not by a landslide. I was getting 104 in Crysis 2 in Win7, and on the same card before I upgraded I was holding around 112 in Win10 without changing the GPU drivers, etc. So, while it's there it's not needed to upgrade just for better performance. Where Win10 does shine is boot time, time loading folders and files, etc. All that blows the doors of Win7 for me with the same hardware. So, I would happily recommend Win10. Plus, after the upgrade you're given like 30 days or something to downgrade back no strings attached if you don't like Win10. I do highly recommend Start10 though (from StarDock), as it replaces the slightly gimped Win10 start menu with the Win7 start menu. So much better. :)
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby PMJPlay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:33 am

Im kinda surprised this thread is still not dead yet. Well at the moment, I am pretty happy with Windows 10, especially with my new hardware and better graphics...
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Postby Kherr » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:55 pm

I don't think this thread will completely die out since it's just generically titled 'Windows 10' so anything applies regarding Windows 10 in here lol. I've even upgraded my work machine to Windows 10, because yea, performance! :)
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Menneset » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Yes, this is an older thread, sorry.

I just wanted to add a comment regarding upgrading from Win7 to Win10. As you know the free upgrade window has passed. However, it is still possible to properly get it for free in some circumstances. To do so, you will need a copy of the Win10 ISO release 1511 which was current during most of the free upgrade period. An IT friend will likely have a copy.

Install Win10 r1511 as a new installation, not an upgrade--be sure you have a good backup. During the setup process you will be asked twice for a valid key. Both times there is an option to skip this step, do that. After Windows is up and running and online, you will get a notice that you have 30 days to enter a valid key. Click the link on that notice and enter a valid Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 activation key. Windows will authenticate the key, and assuming it has not been used with Win10 previously, Microsoft will accept it. You will then have a ton of updates to download, I suggest you do a search for cumulative update kb3193494.

Nothing here is improper, it all is within the parameters of the Microsoft authentication system and the resulting install will be considered a "Genuine Microsoft Product."
Menneset
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 5
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: C64
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/" target="_new"> http://steamcommunity.com/id/.png" border=0 width=160 height=45>

Postby Kherr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:06 pm

That's actually amazing information Menneset. I wish I would have seen this a week or two ago, would have come in handy for a buddy that just upgraded to Win10 from his Win7 Pro license. For whatever reason, it didn't go smoothly and he had to contact Microsoft and they ended up forcing Win10 Home to him, even though his Win7 license was Pro.

Microsoft stated it was because the license was an OEM license and not a retail license... come on Micro$oft? Really? No, that's not how things work. I feel they only did it for him to Win10 Home because he was upgrading outside of the timeline and it was a way to frustrate him into a potential upgrade license to Win10 Pro at cost?

Either way, wish I would have known. Thanks for the info! :hi:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Pictures & Videos